- I spoke to Maggie Zaback at Northern Plains Resource Council today. She put me on the listserv for the Carbon County Resource Council so I’ll get all the inside stuff. They’re about to announce a Beartooth Defense Fund campaign to pay for their operations on this issue. Their strategy will be multi-pronged: legislative, communication and PR, legal, etc, so there will be an opportunity to donate to support them. She’s very nice and willing to chat. It would be nice if we could figure out something we could do to help. Her contact info.
- Jonathan sends along an article from USA Today that reports a study finding that the economic returns to fracked wells diminish quickly. Seems controversial, but I’d been focusing on the environmental issues and it appears that there could be an economic basis to fight this thing too. I really didn’t understand how much oil and gas production has increased because of fracking, but the bottom line is that no matter how good the technology gets, there’s still a finite amount of fossil fuels to pull out of the ground. We need to be shifting to clean energy. Article is here.
- Aunt Big Jane sends along a couple of letters to the editor in the Gazette: Here and here. And she’s already been recruited to help at the Cowboy Supper the NPRC meetings in a couple weeks. Still got to get Tom to do some Shakespeare for the crowd.
- And here’s something you can do right this second. The Red Lodge paper has a poll on fracking in the middle of their front page. If everybody clicks right now, we ought to be able to rig this thing. Vote here.
- The Red Lodge Paper also has an extensive article about the planned drilling with lots of information not in the Gazette article. Here.
- There’s also a map of existing wells by status here. If anybody can figure out how to read this, let us know. It looks to me like there is only one producing well in Stillwater County, but I’m not sure.
- New long-term study shows 40% decline in native Wyoming deer population due to oil and gas drilling
- Money is why Trump pulled out of the Paris Climate Agreement
- Public opposition is going to keep the Keystone XL Pipeline from being built any time soon
- New scientific study shows fracking is strongly related to infant mortality
- New study shows much higher number of oil well spills than previously reported
Click to see the Preserve the Beartooth Front video