Yesterday Energy Corporation of America representative Seth Nolte made a presentation at the Carbon County Commissioners meeting in Red Lodge. All three Commissioners and a good crowd of local citizens were on hand.

I just received this in the middle of the night so I haven’t had a chance to review it. I know people want to see it so I’ll post it now and make comments later in a separate post.

About davidjkatz

The Moses family has lived on the Stillwater River since 1974, when George and Lucile Moses retired and moved to the Beehive from the Twin Cities. They’re gone now, but their four daughters (pictured at left, on the Beehive) and their families continue to spend time there, and have grown to love the area. This blog started as an email chain to keep the family informed about the threat of increased fracking activity in the area, but the desire to inform and get involved led to the creation of this blog.
This entry was posted in Community Organization and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Video: ECA presentation at Carbon County Commissioners meeting, September 8, 2014

1. Arleen Boyd says:

Thanks.

Areen

From: Preserve the Beartooth Front Reply-To: Preserve the Beartooth Front Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:18 AM To: Arleen Boyd Subject: [New post] Video: ECA presentation at Carbon County Commissioners meeting, September 8, 2014

WordPress.com davidjkatz posted: “Yesterday Energy Corporation of America representative Seth Norby made a presentation at the Carbon County Commissioners meeting in Red Lodge. All three Commissioners and a good crowd of local citizens were on hand. Video is below. (If you get this via”

2. This video is invaluable. I was there and have watched it a second time. It is hard to believe that the Commissioners have had two meetings and they admit to not knowing the regulations and the governing agency for the companies operating in their county. Once there is an oil spill none of this information will matter. We will be on to who is going to take responsibility and no doubt they will send people who have no information, but can only promise to go back and find out. One has to stretch to believe that they have gone to the expense to drill a well in Belfry and the engineer in charge is not privy to the plan for where they will get the water to produce that well and how they will dispose of it. If this was supposed to be a comfort to all of us it was not.

3. Terry Pederson says:

I find it extremely one sided that this Company and their one off (likely not going any further) limited involvement has already been indicted and tried in the court of public opinion and the moderator has nothing more to say than “got this last night and haven’t been able to view” or comment when every other move has been assaulted point blank, without reasoned analysis and purely politically motivated. Give it a rest, a little premature to rush to judgement and malign anything they do as “evil hydrocarbon capitalists.” They showed up to try and calm a partisan audience who’s not open-minded. Controls are in place to safeguard pollution, but like so much of the politics woven into this endeavor, it’s really not about the pollution is it? And BTW I am a local MT landowner, only one that wants to look at issues fairly from both sides!

• davidjkatz says:

Terry,

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to write. It’s important for local Montana landowners to get involved in the public discussion. I disagree with a number of points you make:

1. If anybody thought this was a “one off” well we wouldn’t be making this much of it. John Mork, the CEO of ECA, has said publicly he plans to drill 50 wells in the area. Local landowners want to make sure this is done in a way that preserves the community.
      2. We haven’t rushed to judgment on the company. We have carefully studied the public record on what they have done in other states and we’re very concerned. The company has a terrible compliance record. Maybe you’re in the habit of believing big corporations, but we think the public record is a pretty good indication of what’s happening in Montana.
      3. When I see a quoted phrase like “evil hydrocarbon capitalist” and have you tell me that I don’t use reasoned analysis, I wonder if you’ve even read what’s written here. I’ve never used that phrase, and wouldn’t. I may fall short, but what I try to do here is reasoned analysis, with lots of links to things you can read or watch for yourself.

I’m glad you want to look at things from both sides. It’s why we’re posting these videos. Form your own opinions, and keep coming back.

Thanks.

• Terry Pederson says:

Show me one post in here anywhere that isn’t 100% anti-industry David? Or one example anywhere in the world where modern extraction techniques have been done right (safely deployed)? To you it is all environmentally detrimental EVERYWHERE it’s ever been used. I’ve read enough. I am not necessarily pro oil and gas. I don’t work in oil and gas, and I don’t have it in my backyard. But I have a lot of friends around Sidney, Glendive and Plentywood who do. Not one of them (numerous wells) have ever had their water contaminated, nor their pastures poisoned. Not to say it’s not possible. But the state does make you safeguard against contamination of ground water. Pits get reclaimed and the salt water produced with the oil (or gas) must be safely re-injected deep below any aquifer and the injection well is closely inspected and monitored. I know I will never get anyone reading this to change their opinion (don’t care to), but as a mineral owner in Montana who has a right to realize a portion of the value of such assuming it ever gets out of the ground and to a market, you cannot tell me that it can’t be done right?? There are serious repercussions if it’s not done right. Energy Corp. knows this and they likely won’t risk a screw up in an area as biologically sensitive as the Clark’s Fork valley. They would be run out of the state and never gain another drilling permit. I honestly believe this. It’s just as naive to think the commission is nothing more than a rubber stamp…

• davidjkatz says:

Terry,

I’m not going to engage in a long back and forth with you. You seem sincere, and so I will try to help you understand where I’m coming from.

I have a point of view. It is that there are not enough safeguards in place from the federal government or state to protect local landowners. I offer a lot of evidence to that effect on this blog.

What I am advocating, on behalf of local citizens in Carbon and Stillwater Counties, is that the local government put those safeguards in place.

I am not trying to deprive you of your mineral rights. I just want to be sure that if drilling is to be done, the water, the air, the livelihoods and the health of people who live near the wells are protected.

You don’t have to agree with me, but that’s my point of view.

David

4. Big Swede says:

The real question remains. Just how low you will you guys go.

• davidjkatz says:

Swede,

I’m not sure who you mean by “you guys.” We are an independent grass roots group with no ties to the group involved in the ad you link to. We try to be as transparent as possible in what we put on the blog or say in public.

If you want to disagree with us, fine. But lumping us together with anybody who happens to disagree with you is just not good for public discussion. This is a blog about oil drilling in Carbon and Stillwater Counties, not a cable news show.

• Big Swede says:

The question was a simple one, regardless of how “grassroots” you may appear.

Will you distort the truth or promote falsehoods to further your agenda?

5. davidjkatz says:

This blog has been up for 10 months. Read for yourself and decide.